Saturday, March 6, 2010

AutoCAD 2009, trial and error ware

Now that my part in the GA Aquarium Dolphin Exhibit/show is coming to a close.... arghhh, as in not like a show pirate, how I've learned AutoCAD 2009 does not like organics geometry. In fact it seems to have other problems as well. And the HP WX4400 system and windows xp... Oh what a Murphy inviting combination. And all this has lead me to call Autocad 2009, trial and error ware, where if it doesn't work one way, try it another... repeat until either the brain gets burned for the day or success is achieved.

Upgrading to AutoCAD 2009 after already starting the project was also additionally frustrating. Though sometimes I'd revert back to using AutoCAD 2005 as it was quicker and less problematic to use in doing certain things. And sometimes for fixing things Autocad 2009 would break,

On the positive side of things, the project itself, the depth and width of it was certainly one to extend my knowledge and experience quite beyond anything I had previously done in cad/cam.
I cannot overstate how much I have learned due this project.

Its been only five years since I began doing CAD/CAM and this set/show I believe qualifies me for an upgrade from cad/cam "rookie" to something more. I survived, but my co-worker, a seasoned Drafting/CAD/plus person, decided to retire about nine months earlier due this job. But in fairness it was really trying to keep focus on this job while being constantly detoured to do other shows.

And there was detours for me as well, only for John, he also delt with engineering mechanical/automation drawings and he mostly worked in 2D, making it even tougher when dealing with 3d organic shapes. Though he worked in vectorworks on a MAC.

A few days ago I did a drawing to send to the design firm as a base for some final design work. It'd been 1 year to the day had this happened just two weeks later, that I composed the initial drawing of this part of the set. So its been over a year since I became actively involved in this show set.

We became involved before they broke ground to build the building this set show is placed in.

We are doing a time lapse photography of the set installation. The public might even get to see this as part of the exhibit.

Having been immersed in the job it is only been recently that I've started to feel some of the awe of the reality of the set in seeing what I have worked on in CAD/CAM become physically real.

I do wonder if the general public that sees the show will have any idea of the of just how complex and difficult this set was to create. And I do hope the set goes in well,

No comments:

Post a Comment