Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Early trade show work


Daytona Beach Fla. Spring Break.
We did other booths too, but this one has a story to it.

In doing shows for the Local Non-profit Cocoa Musical theater "Performing Arts Center" Brian the Director was always trying to get Bruce the Set designer to do things "paint by number" style because it was always hard to find good artists to work for free or very near it. So we finally achieved it with this set. It was late and Bruce and I had barely enough room to pass by each other at the warehouse as these flats were against the wall and storage items was just a few feet away. we both made a few comments about how bad it looked from this short distance and then I suddenly began to laff, so Bruce responded "What?". After I collected myself I said to him "Ok Teach, now that we have paint by number down, what next?"

Maybe it was one of those "you had to be there" things, but Bruce burst out laughing and I followed and we laughed so hard tears rolled.

Needless to say the set did look horrible in the ballroom it was set up in the first week, But then they moved it out to a tent on the beach and that really did work quite well and it looked good.

As a side note, the "Scooter Mania" lettering sign on the front of the center pedistal I painted 3 times, as the first two vanished somewhere between Cocoa and Daytona, before it was even set up. So the third time I painted it right on the pedistal, where it couldn't be stolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment